[nfbcs] PC's with a serial port

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Wed Jan 29 19:07:25 UTC 2014

I'm looking around for a new desktop.  I am using an older Alva braille
display, which runs off a serial port.  I am having trouble identifying if a
PC I'm interested in has a serial port or not.  Sometimes it's in the
technical specs, and sometimes not.
Is a serial port no longer standard?  Does the USB to serial adapter work
just as well, or is it slower at passing data through?
Would anyone care to recommend a desktop, or a place to look?  I've been
looking at Amazon and TigerDirect.  I tried NewEgg, but didn't see much I
fancied.
Thanks.
Tracy