[nfbcs] Optical Recognition of pdf image files

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Tue Jul 22 17:18:15 UTC 2014

Louis,

The first thing I would do if I were you is to see if whomever produced the 990 couldn't try another option.
Presumably it was either someone in your affilliate or someone you paid, so this should be a possibility.  I've
gotten PDF's from the person I pay to do my personal taxes which have come out fine.  I do not like using OCR on
documents where every digit is important if I can avoid it.

I believe 990's are pretty much public documents, so if you can't get a different version, finding someone with
Kurzweil 1000 to convert it would be a possibility.  Other off-the-shelf programs such as OmniPage and FineReader
which are far cheaper also can convert PDF's.  I believe there is still a place you can email such files and get a
text file back but I don't have that information.