[nfbcs] Optical Recognition of pdf image files

Louis Maher ljmaher at swbell.net
Tue Jul 22 22:47:35 UTC 2014

Thanks Steve.

Regards
Louis Maher
Phone 713-444-7838
E-mail ljmaher at swbell.net

-----Original Message-----
From: nfbcs [mailto:nfbcs-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of Steve Jacobson
via nfbcs
Sent: Tuesday, July 22, 2014 12:18 PM
To: Louis Maher via nfbcs
Subject: Re: [nfbcs] Optical Recognition of pdf image files

Louis,

The first thing I would do if I were you is to see if whomever produced the
990 couldn't try another option.
Presumably it was either someone in your affilliate or someone you paid, so
this should be a possibility.  I've gotten PDF's from the person I pay to do
my personal taxes which have come out fine.  I do not like using OCR on
documents where every digit is important if I can avoid it.

I believe 990's are pretty much public documents, so if you can't get a
different version, finding someone with Kurzweil 1000 to convert it would be
a possibility.  Other off-the-shelf programs such as OmniPage and FineReader
which are far cheaper also can convert PDF's.  I believe there is still a
place you can email such files and get a text file back but I don't have
that information.