[nfbcs] NVDA product question

Michael Forzano michaeldforzano at gmail.com
Mon Nov 3 20:25:19 UTC 2014

Hi Mike,

Seems I'm in the minority here, and am rather surprised, but I've been
using NVDA as my primary screen reader for several years. On a daily
basis the main apps I use are Firefox, Outlook, Putty for SSH, and
Notepad++ for development. I feel it is just as efficient as JAWS. I'm
employed as a software developer so efficiency is pretty important to
me. It does have a bit of a learning curve, particularly the use of
object navigation as opposed to a JAWS cursor like equivalent, but
once you learn to use it efficiently I find it works extremely well.
JAWS still has better office support, though NVDA has improved quite a
lot in that area in recent updates. JAWS also still likely has better
support for some specialized applications (such as ones that need
scripts). On the other hand, it works out of the box with Skype, an
application that still needs JAWS scripts as far as I know.

Obviously everyone has different needs, but I wouldn't be so quick to
shy away from NVDA just because it's free and free might not be all it
is cracked up to be.

Mike