[nfbcs] Google Drive, One Drive, or From Scratch

Littlefield, Tyler tyler at tysdomain.com
Sat Jan 17 19:07:21 UTC 2015

I recommend Dropbox as it works great. google drive has a downloader
which you can install, but I'm not sure how accessible it is as I just
started using it. The website is a bit of a pain--more so than Dropbox.

The thing to keep in mind with the VPS is that you won't generally get
a lot of storage unless you buy a really big system, at which point
you could just buy a cheap dedicated server and call it good. I pay
$60 for a nice one with 2 tb space and it works fine for what I need.
There are also security concerns with a lot of the protocols out there
to mount the drives. E.g: Samba over the internet etc, so it will need
to be configured by someone who knows for sure what they're doing so
that all your stuff can't be accessed remotely by everyone. There is
also the option of NFS, but that has another bunch of security issues
you need to consider as well. I set this up for someone a while back
so have some ideas in how to get it going. Finally, you'll also want a
system which you can back up to removable media. Many viruses will
infect any mounted drives (and some have started infecting
dropbox/google drive, as long as you are logged in).