[nfbcs] Using eclipse with JAWS

William Grussenmeyer wdg31415 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 25 03:54:08 UTC 2015

I always turn the punctuation off when reading code.  It is faster
that way, and any punctuation mistakes are caught with the compiler in
the problems pane.  This has been effective for me.  As for reading
capitals, I never turn it on because the names of variables are always
not capital on the first word and captilized on every sub word.  I
assume everyone abides by this convention.  It only causes problems a
few minor times such as when you have a word like  varSubclass .. then
is the Sub capitalized or both sub and class, etc.  Sometimes people
do things differently there.  Last tip is that you can setup shortcut
keys user defined yourself.  I think its under window -> preferences
-> key bindings.  I setup key bindings to move quickly to the package
manager and the compiler error pane.  I forgot if JAWS works with
eclipse auto complete --  I think it does not but that could have
changed.  You can change settings to turn all auto complete and
highlighting off which makes Eclipse run much faster and Jaws wont lag
anymore.

On 1/24/15, Steve Jacobson via nfbcs <nfbcs at nfbnet.org> wrote:
> [...]
>
> Graham, another challenge is to look for different ways of doing the same
> things, and that can even involve using lesser-known features of an
> application.  I
> know I have always been the expert where I work on how to use "FIND" and
> "SEARCH" commands and sometimes even macros in various environments
> because they benefit me more than my co-workers.  That has even gotten me
> into some more nitch programming in the past.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Steve Jacobson
>
> On Sat, 24 Jan 2015 19:07:31 -0800, Nicole Torcolini via nfbcs wrote:
>
>>Yes. I think that you just press enter when in the error list.
>
>>Sent from my iPhone
>
>>On Jan 24, 2015, at 3:18 PM, Steve Jacobson via nfbcs <nfbcs at nfbnet.org>
>> wrote:
>
>>Nicole,
>
>>Is there an option in Eclipse to move from an error message to the line in
>> the source that caused the error?  I've seen this in other development
> environments but have not used Eclipse.  If there is such an option,
>>that would probably be helpful to him.
>
>>Best regards,
>
>>Steve Jacobson
>
>>> On Sat, 24 Jan 2015 10:25:50 -0800, Nicole Torcolini via nfbcs wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi. Some of this will get easier as you get used to using JAWS. So, in
>>> addition to using JAWS for coding, I would recommend using JAWS for as
>>> much
>>> other stuff as possible so that you get used to it.
>
>>> 1. I do not reduce the speed of JAWS to read code. However, please note
>>> that
>>> I have been using JAWS for more than fifteen years, so I am used to it.
>>> Also, if you have not already, I would recommend learning Braille and
>>> asking
>>> your employer for a Braille display. This is considered a reasonable
>>> accommodation because, in most cases, it is unreasonable to expect
>>> someone
>>> to get all of the details verbally that sighted people get visually.
>>> Also
>>> note that, in JAWS, you can set different settings for different
>>> applications.
>
>>> 2. In the voice options, there is an option for capitalization pitch
>>> change.
>>> In the options for all programs and for each program, there are options
>>> for
>>> when capitals are announced. Again, having a Braille display will help
>>> with
>>> this.
>
>>> 3. In Eclipse, press alt + shift + q to get the list of errors. Select
>>> the
>>> error that you want and press F10 for a list of options, including quick
>>> fix
>>> and details.
>
>>> Finally, I would recommend reading the JAWS help topics on keystrokes
>>> and
>>> settings as you will find a lot of helpful information there.

>>> camel
>>> case. - meaning take two english words and merge them into one word to

>>> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nfbcs_nfbnet.org/ntorcolini%40wavecable.co

--
Bill