[nfbcs] any experience with JAWES and open office

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Thu May 28 14:59:41 UTC 2015

Graham,

There is the Office 365 monthly subscription that allows you to download Office 2013 as well as providing you some
cloud storage.  This gives you the office products in a manner that is easier to swallow than buying the whole
suite.  If you mostly need it for Outlook, you might be able to get by with another email client depending upon
what you need.  Many are using Thunderbird, and Windows Live Mail isn't bad.  There is an inexpensive program
called "Becky" that has a number of Blind users as well.  At least with Window-Eyes, some have used a word
processor called JARTE, at least I think that is the spelling.  Generally, if it works with Window-Eyes it likely
can be made to work with JAWS.

I have heard that Open Office is much more accessible but have yet to hear anyone say that as a suite it is as
accessible as Microsoft Office, even with Office's imperfections.  Things could change on that front, of course.
Since Open Office is free, though, you have nothing to loose by trying it and delaying your exploring other
alternatives until you have determined if it could work for you.  Perhaps someone else here has direct experience
with Open Office and can comment, as most of what I know is second-hand.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson