[nfbcs] Computer Shutting off During the Night

Peter Donahue pdonahue2 at satx.rr.com
Sun Feb 21 15:38:28 UTC 2016

Good morning everyone,

                We're some of those folks that like to keep at least one
computer running 24/7. Until last week this hasn't been a problem. Several
mornings last week including this morning we came down stairs to find that
Mary's computer had shut itself off during the night. It was necessary to
unplug the power adapter and plug it back in again to restart her PC. Once
the machine was back on and successfully rebooted everything was fine. It
runs flawlessly. Someone suggested that the surge protector to which this
machine is connected was doing its job protecting it from being fried. These
shut-downs occurred three times during the past week. Otherwise we've been
able to run the computer overnight without problems. We may just have to
shut it down manually before we go to bed until a technician can check it
out. Someone is supposed to come on Friday to troubleshoot  this issue along
with some issues with some of our other devices. I've heard of computers
shutting down by themselves unexpectedly so this is not new to me. I'd be
curious to know if there are any settings I can check that may be
responsible for this behavior. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Peter Donahue