[nfbcs] Computer science major college question

Currin, Kevin kwcurrin at email.unc.edu
Tue Jul 5 17:19:56 UTC 2016

I completely agree Deborah. People ask me all the time what accessible programming tools I use. They are either surprised or disappointed when I say I mainly use notepad and then compile on the commandline (usually cygwin on windows). I have used more complex editors, such as notepad++ and EdSharp, but for most of what I do, notepad works great and is perfectly accessible.

When I started programming, which was only about 4 years ago, I took a python class and used notepad and did great. I then took a java class on object oriented programming and tried to use Eclipse and did not so well. While eclipse is much more accessible than most IDEs, it has a huge learning curve itself and constantly froze on my laptop with 2 gb of RAM. At the time however, I thought I just wasn't good at "real" languages like java and that oo programming was beyond me. When I revisited OO programming again later using notepad, I did just fine and didn't have nearly as many errors trying to get things working.

Kevin