[nfbcs] Question about learning python

Deborah Armstrong armstrongdeborah at fhda.edu
Wed Jul 13 15:03:51 UTC 2016

Trying to decide if I want to learn Python or Java. If I knew Java I could maybe write some Android apps; if I knew Python I could write some NVDA scripts.

I know how to program already, but mnost of the work I've done is with scripting languages. I prefer to take a course, though I've learned languages on my own before.

My issue with Python is the that it uses indents to end and begin blocks of code, and thank goodness I have Ed Sharp, (it appears you can no longer download it.) Is that a problem with screen reader users, to constantly remember to indent or outdent? Typically when I code say in C, I run everything through a pretty-printer to make sure my indents are readable. When I use Braille I like having indentation; when I use a screen reader I don't care. So I usually just type out code, with lots of comments but no indentation. Then I  use the pretty-printer and then read slowly through it with Braille.

Anyway, the other issue is that several friends have said Python 3 is inaccessible and Python 2 is much better with screen readers. However, every modern course I can take seems to require Python 3. Is this just an issue with the IDE and can I skip using an IDE if I don't want to?

I know Linux and Windows; any thoughts would be appreciated.

--Debee