[nfbcs] Fake Cover Letters Expose Discrimination Against Disabled

John G Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Thu Mar 10 16:50:41 UTC 2016

It'd be funny if it wasn't about putting bread on the table.
Another thing in the comments that I think is of interest is that some
people blasted the research study saying it was stupid to disclose that
you are disabled in the cover letter. But both of our examples show how
futile it is to not disclose it.  You're going to end up at a lot of
interviews where you have absolutely no chance at the job. There is
always some chance you'll wow the interviewer into giving you a chance,
I suppose. Is it worth it? Just my opinion but I don't think so. I think
you are better off weeding those people out in the first place.

The last time I was applying for jobs, I made myself out to be Super
Blind Guy in my cover letter. Of course, I didn't actually use that term
in my cover letter but I made a point of emphasizing the things I could
do. I have competed in triathlonns, landscaped the front of my house,
done a lot of woodworking. For what it's worth, it seemed to work.

You know about Super Blind Guy, right? He and his faithful guide dog
companion  go around righting wrongs with his razor sharp mind, super
hearing, echo location, and super sensitive touch. "Ah ha!" says Super
Blind Guy, "I knew the bill was counterfeit because it was dated 1936
and Andrew Jackson didn't appear on the twenty until 1938."

John G. Heim; jheim at math.wisc.edu; sip://jheim@sip.linphone.org