[nfbcs] Fake Cover Letters Expose Discrimination Against Disabled

Joseph C. Lininger devnull-nfbcs at pcdesk.net
Fri Mar 11 05:00:10 UTC 2016

Here's something interesting to consider. I have exactly the opposite
problem as that described here. This story may seem like bragging. I
promise that is not my intention; I'm telling you about this to
illustrate a point.

One of the gals I work with (used to be my supervisor before she got
transfered) has gotten so used to me and my abilities that she simply
can't accept that the disability could or would be a factor in a
company's hiring dicision or in the way people behave toward me. I work
for the Air Force, and there's a possibility I will need to find a
different place to work within the organization. I expressed concerns
about finding a new position, and she mentioned private sector
employment (with much higher pay) as a possibility if, in her words,
"the air force is too stupid to want to keep you." I mentioned to her
the difficulties of getting hired, and her response was something like,
"No way. You have years of experience, a computer science degree, and
you're working on a Ph.D. I don't believe a company would turn you down
just because of that." She is a rare exception to the general rule, and
to be honest it's something I never knew how much I appreciated until I
actually worked for someone like that. She even forgets the disability
at times. Once she was talking about how i would need to travel some
place. I asked her for more specific directions, and she was like, "Oh
yeah, I forgot." She may have been apologetic, but I took it as a
compliment. It meant she saw me as a whole person, not just a disability.
Joe