[nfbcs] Fake Cover Letters Expose Discrimination Against Disabled

Vincent Martin vincent.martin at gatech.edu
Thu Mar 10 18:34:08 UTC 2016

I first read this when it was first published last Fall.  As a fan of
Behavioral Economics, I was delighted to see that the bias mostly disappears
at large publically traded companies.  I have  seen this is the norm in most
cases that I have been around.  In keeping with the norm that about 85
percent of jobs are gotten through a contact rather than through a simple
cover letter and resume, every job I have had since high school was through
a contact.  The last three jobs before I went back to graduate school were
created for me.  I turned in a resume and cover letter and filled out the
application after I was hired.
I have about another year to finish my Ph.D. and I have well over five
companies that keep asking me when I will finish.  I even got an unsolicited
job offer by text message on Monday.  It was in reference to a post I made
on a professional list last weekend.  I will have a casual chat with them
today at 3:30 pm.
There is going to always be some type of bias and I definitely would prefer
to see the bias ahead of time and not get disappointed later.  With that
being said, I would disclose in some situations and not in some others.