[nfbcs] Learning Programming Languages

William Grussenmeyer wdg31415 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 14 22:53:14 UTC 2017

It is not the programming languages that have accessibility problems.
You can program in any language using any screen reader and notepad on
windows or texteditor on mac, etc. without any accessibility issues.
As to compile the program, all command line tools are accessible. But
many programmers use what are called development environments which
speed up the process of programming by helping you with auto-complete
of words, sorting library calls, helping to organize your files, etc.
For windows, an accessible development environment is Eclipse or
visual studio.  But they both can be a little difficult to learn at
first.  I would suggest starting with Java to learn basic programming
concepts.  You can program java in Eclipse.  Its a typical type of
language used in many university and used widely in industry.  It is
better than starting with a web language or with  SQL which is a
database language because it teaches you more formal  concepts, has a
better debugging environment, and it is harder to make mistakes in.
Java was design to be easy to learn and hard to make mistakes in.  It
is easy in web languages to screw things up because they do not do any
error checking and wont give you any feedback about  errors.  It is
also easy in web langauges not to learn basic programming concepts or
to misunderstand the ideas because they are so informal in their
syntax.
Setting up eclipse and java on a windows machine takes some time and
you'll have to look up some tutorial to do it.
Another option is to try visual studio and C#.  I don't know much
about those two but they are more formal languages that are easy to
learn in.
There might be some books on bookshare about programming in different
languages like java and C# that you might try to look up.  Online
tutorials are not always good to learn from.  They are usually short
and badly described.