[nfbcs] Learning Programming Languages

Jack Heim john at johnheim.com
Fri Apr 14 16:15:57 UTC 2017

I think learning a web programming language like php is a good idea. I
was at lunch with some tech types last Saturday and one of them related
how his company had to pay a php programmer just out of college,
$80,000. Otherwise, he'd have gone somewhere else.  There is a ton of
stuff being written in python these days too.

One of the problems starting with a web programming language would be
that you'd have to get a web server working first. Early on it might be
difficult to know if the problem is with your script or with the server.
On the other hand, with a web app, you could immediately write something
actually useful. That might be good to keep you motivated.

In terms of how hard they are to learn, the programming language itself
makes some difference but the biggest thing is going to be the
development environment. In other words, the biggest issue is probably
going to be how your screen reader interacts with the program you are
using to write the code. Personally, I use gedit in linux with the orca
screen reader.