[nfbcs] Research

David Tseng davidct1209 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 16:26:47 UTC 2017

On Wed, Feb 22, 2017 at 11:45 PM, Kartik Sawhney via nfbcs <nfbcs at nfbnet.org>
wrote:
I don't necessarily agree with that. I'm just finishing my undergrad
CS degree at Stanford, and while it certainly is very rigorous,
students (both blind and sighted) get a lot of support. Also, if one
can complete a master's degree at these schools (which I'm assuming
you can if you get accommodations and access to materials), then you
should be able to get the same help as an undergrad as well. In fact,
it's easier to get the fundamentals down earlier than later. A typical
freshman coding for several years is not true in my experience, and
majority of the students, including a lot those who excel, start with
intro CS classes, and sometimes even intro math classes.

Again, it highly depends on the university. Of course everyone will have a
different experience and even the same school might change over time as
different faculty rotates into the CS or the disable students departments.

However, as someone who was used to being the best, the desire to compete
was a driving factor for me at Berkeley so that might skew my observations
towards the top. I'm a little surprised though at your comments above as
most of the folks I know (sighted) who went to Stanford, had an extensive
AP course load and junior college coursework under their belt before
entering.