[nfbcs] Equipment necessary for successing in IT

Jeffrey D. Stark jds.listserv at gmail.com
Sat Feb 25 07:20:41 UTC 2017

You might also consider VMWare and a computer powerful enough to use it on.
Depending on the course and area it may be useful to be able to run variants
of the material they are using at the university...
i.e. linux, windows server, different versions of windows .  This will allow
you to customise it and easier for screen reader use.

VMWare will allow you to do this.
However; you should have 2x the amount of ram you might otherwise have.  For
example, I have a PC with a 1gig SSD, I7 processor and 24gigs of ram and
this runs effectively & responsibly, 1 or more instances of a virtual
environment  on top of my PC OS.

Also, not all programming environments are accessible, so decisions should
be considered in that area too... depending on area of study.  This might
require different screen readers to deal with different environments.

One mistake I made when I started out my higher education was to not scope
out all the courses I would be taking in advance and identifying what the
technical environment and applications I'd be expected to use and deal with
in each course.

Instead of doing what I did... which was deal with it as it hit me....