[nfbcs] Research

John Heim john at johnheim.com
Mon Feb 27 22:24:16 UTC 2017

I suspect you are underestimating the amount of self-teaching you had to
do before you were able to contribute to that project. In fact, a lot of
the people on open source projects are self-taught. That's a skill that
can be developed and it may be the most valuable skill an IT
professional can have. But likemost skills, some people are better at it
than others.

For years on this list I've been advising people to go out and get a
used computer and put linux on it. That's how I learned linux systems
admin. But experience has to be earned. If you did something for the
freeBSD project that didn't requireyou to either have programming
experience or to acquire it, then it's not worth putting on a resume.
There is no shortcut here.