[nfbcs] VOIP

Brian Buhrow buhrow at nfbcal.org
Fri Jul 7 16:19:57 UTC 2017

	Hello.  It depends on what you mean by accessible.  Many voip phones
are completely usable by blind folks, I use many every day, as long as you
don't use some of the features.  Things that are hard to use without
modification are things that use the screen, i.e. caller-ID notification,
call history, directory information, etc.  But, functions like call
transfer, 3-way calling, hold, voicemail notification, etc. work just fine.
	If you  want a fully accessible voip phone, you can always use an
analog telephone adaptor to convert your good old fashioned analog
telephone into a voip phone.  The Cisco SPA112 is an excellent 2-line
analog telephone adaptor that works with most voip systems.
Alternatively, you can run a software based voip phone that's fully
accessible.  Counterpath's Bria soft phone product works well with Apple
iOS and works very well with VoiceOver.

If you elaborate more fully about what you're looking for, I might be able
to be more specific.

-thanks
-Brian