[nfbcs] Emacspeak

Amanda Lacy lacy925 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 10 19:48:20 UTC 2017

The emacs menu bar is definitely accessible under emacspeak. What
happens when you press f10?

What distro are you using?
I'm on Ubuntu MATE. I notice that when I run emacs under a terminal
window (opened with control-alt-t) it acts strange. I don't get
Braille output for example.
It works better if I log into a terminal session with control-alt-f1
and run it from there.
I can then switch between my desktop and terminal with control-alt-f1
and control-alt-f7.

You don't use emacs with Orca - you use it with emacspeak. Orca is a
screen reader for the GUI.
Emacspeak is not a screen reader but something much better. It does
not force you to think in visual analogies to use your machine.

On a similar topic, I'd appreciate it if anyone could help me figure
out why I can't get speakup to work. I'm trying to run cli email
programs but Orca works poorly with them. I need a screen reader for
the shell.