[nfbcs] Emacspeak

Christopher Chaltain chaltain at gmail.com
Tue Jul 11 01:31:19 UTC 2017

If you start Emacs on the desktop in the GUI then hitting F10 will take
you into Emacs's menus, but you will be reading them with Orca.

If you're running Emacs in a console, such as those virtual terminals
you get to with control+alt+f1 then hitting F10 will take you into the
Emacs menus and you'll be reading them with Emacspeak.

Running Emacs in a Gnome terminal in text mode, such as when using the
-nw option will give you pretty strange results if you're using
Emacspeak and Orca. Hitting F10 will take you into the menu bar for
Gnome terminal and not Emacs. Control+f10 will take you into the Emacs
menu bar, but again, you'll be reading them with Orca. using the command
M-x menu-bar-open will take you into the Emacs menu bar and you'll be
hearing both Orca and Emacspeak read the menu bar options.

On 07/10/2017 02:48 PM, Amanda Lacy via nfbcs wrote:
> The emacs menu bar is definitely accessible under emacspeak. What
> happens when you press f10?
>
> What distro are you using?
> I'm on Ubuntu MATE. I notice that when I run emacs under a terminal
> window (opened with control-alt-t) it acts strange. I don't get
> Braille output for example.
> It works better if I log into a terminal session with control-alt-f1
> and run it from there.
> I can then switch between my desktop and terminal with control-alt-f1
> and control-alt-f7.
>
> You don't use emacs with Orca - you use it with emacspeak. Orca is a
> screen reader for the GUI.
> Emacspeak is not a screen reader but something much better. It does
> not force you to think in visual analogies to use your machine.
>
> On a similar topic, I'd appreciate it if anyone could help me figure
> out why I can't get speakup to work. I'm trying to run cli email
> programs but Orca works poorly with them. I need a screen reader for
> the shell.
>
> On 7/9/17, ronak shah via nfbcs <nfbcs at nfbnet.org> wrote:
>> Hi all
>> I have started to use Emacs with emacspeak but am not able to navigate
>> afficiantly
>> For eg
>> The menu bar is not accessible with emacspeak and hence I am a little
>> stranded in a no man's  land.
>> Please let me know how to get use to it
>> also is VIM better with orca because I would like to use 1 screen reader
>> and 1 editer for everything preferablely
>>
>> Anything on ide will be appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks in advance
>> Kind regards
>> Ron