[nfbcs] Sunu - a a smartwatch for the blind with ultrasound proximity sensor

Tony Malykh anton.malykh at gmail.com
Sun Jul 30 21:22:52 UTC 2017

Hi guys,

I just wanted to let you know about this interesting startup project:
http://sunu.io

It has an ultrasound proximity sensor, so in my understanding, you can
rotate your wrist to scan your surroundings and the proximity
information is conveyed by the intensity of the vibration. It will
allow you to detect certain obstacles at your waist level up to 14
feet away, which should be useful for navigating both indoors and
outdoors, following people, etc.

It's pricey, but they have a discount for 20 days.
I'm curious if anyone has had a chance to try it? How useful it is for
navigating around? Their website says that NFB helped them to test the
device.

I'm going to order one for myself, and I can share my impression once
it is delivered.
Best regards
Tony