[nfbcs] Next version of Windows to have more sandboxing

Rasmussen, Lloyd lras at loc.gov
Wed May 17 17:27:45 UTC 2017

A related subject ...
A recent story on CNet News described Microsoft's efforts to enter the school market in a big way, in order to compete with the Chromebooks which have been quite successful. They described a version of Windows called Windows 10S, a subset of Windows 10, which is heavily managed and could only use programs that are available in the Windows Store. Individual computers could be authorized to go beyond that limit for additional cost and increased management complexity.
Begin Speculation Mode: Might Windows Narrator be the only program that runs in the default environment of this operating system? If so, the next battleground might be whether Narrator was providing enough information for students to use it competitively in their schoolwork. End Speculation.

Lloyd Rasmussen, Senior Staff Engineer
National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped, Library of Congress
Washington, DC 20542   202-707-0535
http://www.loc.gov/nls/
The preceding opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of the Library of Congress, NLS.