[nfbcs] Visual Studio 2017 with C++ and Python

Lanie Molinar laniemolinar91 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 14 11:37:35 UTC 2018

Hi, everyone. I’ve been using Visual Studio Community 2017 for C++ programming for school for a while now, and I’m getting more proficient with it all the time. I love all the great features it has. I’m always trying to learn more and get better at using and getting the most out of it, so I have a couple questions. In case it helps, I’m using it with Windows 10 and NVDA. I have both the stable and preview versions of Visual Studio installed. Also, I’ve only worked with C++ until now, but I’ll be starting to learn Python soon. For school, I create and debug projects in Visual Studio and then upload my files to my school’s Linux Lab using WinSCP. I do final testing and submission with PuTTY. I know there are probably still a lot of features I’m missing out on. I’m still discovering things now. Yesterday, I learned that you can build and upload your projects through Visual Studio by adding the SSH information to its connection manager. It seems kind of slow, though, and I still need WinSCP for downloading files and a few other things. Now that you have some background information, I’ll ask my questions. First, do you all have any tips on using Visual Studio for C++ and Python that might help me as a still relatively new user? Second, are there any extensions or customizations that you would recommend? I’ve been trying different things, but I’m not sure how useful some of the extensions I’ve added will really be. Right now, I have these extensions: Codinion, Hot Commands, EF Core Power Tools, StyleCop, Multi Edit Mode, Visual Studio Spell Checker, Power Commands for Visual Studio, Code Alignment, Syntax Highlighting Pack, Cloud Explorer for Visual Studio 2017 (which I’m not sure I need at all), CodeMaid, Visual Assist, and Visual Studio Interactive Window. There are a few others that came with VS when I installed it as well. I only installed these yesterday because they sounded useful when I was browsing the available extensions, so I still don’t understand most of them. Finally, I have a couple questions about C++ and Python. First, I’ve learned about using C++ with Linux, but what do I need to do to learn to use my skills with it on other platforms, like Windows or Android? My classes haven’t taught anything about that. For Python, can anyone recommend some good places to learn it? I’ve found a couple websites, but they’re not that accessible. Sorry for throwing so many questions out in such a long email, but I know I’ll forget them if I don’t ask them now. Thanks for your help.