[nfbcs] Do I have a prayer of enjoying this program?

Doug Lee dgl at dlee.org
Thu Apr 26 15:40:34 UTC 2018

Sounds like the problem is not so much about accessibility as about knowing what to do or expect.

I'm a professional, totally blind JAWS scripter and programmer. Programming can be done without sight, though the accessibility of various tools can of course vary widely. I'm not sure what software will be used during this
hack day; that might be useful information.

If you want to listen to what your friend is doing via what she and others say, of course you can do that. If you want to install JAWS on her machine and follow along, that will depend a lot on what software she uses during the
day.

Either way, how much enjoyment you get out of the program may not depend on how much the computer says directly to you. I participated in a programming contest once when I was in high school, without a computer for myself at
all. My team had someone entering code and the rest of us talked through the process of designing it. Since you say you're not a programmer, you may not be wanting to participate in that way; but perhaps you'll have ideas about
the substance of programs being worked on. For example, if the hack day tasks include writing a program to calculate a mortgage and you have experience with financial concepts, you may be able to clear up some fog in the minds
of seasoned programmers who don't have a clue what a mortgage is.

Best of luck and write back if you have or want more information.