[nfbcs] meltdown and spectre

Littlefield, Tyler tyler at tysdomain.com
Mon Jan 8 19:15:48 UTC 2018

All:

Unless you've been living at the bottom of a pond, you've no doubt heard
of Meltdown and Spectre, which are perhaps two of the most critical bugs
since heartbleed.

As some of us run VPS and other systems, it's important to keep track of
what is patched and what isn't; I found this helpful; it's a message
sent through FreeBSD-security (all distro security officers should be
sending or doing something similar).

By now, we're sure most everyone have heard of the Meltdown and Spectre
attacks. If not, head over to
https://meltdownattack.com/
 and get an
overview. Additional technical details are available from Google
Project Zero.
https://googleprojectzero.blogspot.com/2018/01/reading-privileged-memory-with-side.html

I'll be following up with my providers to determine if patches are
coming down the line and I think most kernels are and/or have been
patched currently, but I thought starting a thread might be a good way
to share resources.

Thanks,

--

Take Care,
Tyler Littlefield

Tyler Littlefield Consulting: website development and business
solutions. <http://tylerlittlefield.me> My personal site
<http://tysdomain.com> My Linkedin
<https://www.linkedin.com/in/ty-lerlittlefield> @Sorressean on Twitter
<http://twitter.com/sorressean>