[nfbcs] Assistance re-setting Linux password

Littlefield, Tyler tyler at tysdomain.com
Fri Jan 12 05:10:06 UTC 2018

Jessica:
The best way is pretty complex.
First try going to single user mode. Usually in the kernel selection
screen you'll get that, try hitting down arrow, then you will most
likely get a root prompt. If you don't get sound/etc, you'll have to
take another route:
First you need to boot Ubuntu to rescue mode... but you need to do this
with a rescue CD.
Then find the partition with /etc. Mount that to a folder called hd for
example:
mount /dev/sda3 hd
chroot hd /bin/bash
from here you're chrooted into the directory. You can change your
password. Simply use passwd to do so.
use exit to get out.
Make sure you unmount hd:
umount hd
then type sync (just for good luck):
sync
then reboot to multiuser mode and you should be good to go.
HTH,