[nfbcs] Terminal emulator takes down Jaws

beth.chocolategeek at gmail.com beth.chocolategeek at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 18:22:38 UTC 2018

Hi Tracy,

I'm not familiar with the terminal program you're using but here are some questions that might narrow down the issue somewhat. 😊

Are you able to try another screen reader such as NVDA or Narrator (Windows 10 version) to discover if the problem happens with those programs as well?
I understand the terminal might not work with those screen readers, but it may also tell you if the problem is with JAWS or TSO. If you can use the terminal program with another screen reader a few times without crashing, then perhaps there's a conflict with JAWS, one of its settings, or maybe a video card/driver problem. It's strange it occurs sporadically so it's hard to know.
The JAWS support folks would probably suggest making sure you have the most up to date video driver, etc. but I'm sure you're aware of that already. 😊

Second, there's a dump utility for JAWS, I would have to look up the name, that saves all error when JAWS crashes. The last time I called for JAWS tech support, we used that tool to find out what caused JAWS to crash.

Lastly, I've fixed intermittent problems with JAWS crashing at work for difficulties with Adobe Acrobat, and other programs crashing with JAWS by adding more memory to my computer. JAWS isn't normally a memory hog, but maybe that would help if you have multiple programs running.

Sorry this doesn't provide a definitive answer, but it's one of those problems that can have multiple causes. Other folks may know better than I about your particular terminal program or may have had similar experiences and can help more.

I hope you're doing well.

Best Regards,

Beth