[nfbcs] Recommendations of a 18 or 20 cell Braille display please

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Mon Jan 14 14:10:38 UTC 2019

I own both the Varioultra 20 and the Orbit Reader.
I like the Vario, but it has serious battery issues.  The battery runs low
quicker than any notetaker I've owned, and, if I miss the warning and the
battery gets very low, I have to leave the machine alone for days, often
as long as 12-14 days, before it can be recharged.  Also, because there
isn't any US support now, any questions or issues can only be addressed by
talking with other users.  It's a nice machine, but with no support now,
and a rotten battery.  We users keep hoping the German company will fix
both these issues, but there's been no word for months.

I like the Orbit quite a lot.  The battery life is excellent; the
Bluetooth to connect it to a phone is easy and reliable; the braille is
excellent; it's small and light, and the cost is a fifth of any other
braille display I've ever bought.  It does make a noise when the display
flips, like someone shuffling cards.  If I was taking notes in a meeting,
I don't think the noise would be a problem, but, if I was reading a lot in
the same meeting, people might notice.
HTH.
Tracy