[nfbcs] Technical gaps that need to be filled for math classes.

Brian Buhrow buhrow at nfbcal.org
Thu Jan 31 20:15:43 UTC 2019

	Hello.  We like to think of progress as moving in a linear fashion
according to some time scale.  Unfortunately, progress moves in fits and
starts, sometimes speeding ahead with a breakthrough, and sometimes moving
at a glacial pace.  It's also the case that progress doesn't move at the
same rate in all locations, meaning there are places where progress
happens, while other locations stay where they are.  Despite all of this,
however, progress does happen and there is no reason to give up hope that
things will improve in the education of blind students in the math and
science areas.  Folks have been talking about the arrival of a full page
braille display for decades, since the first one-line refreshable braille
display came available, I'll wager.  With the advent of the Graphiti, from
Orbit Research and APH, as well as the Bristal Braille display from
England, the reality of a full page braille display at an affordable price
is closer than ever!  It will take a while for screen readers and note
taker providers to incorporate the new technology into their products, but
it will happen and it will be progress!  And, it will happen in the next
2-5 years.

	As to the original poster's discussion of her troubles learning math,
I'll agree that learning math can be challenging.  However, it is not
impossible and there are many blind folks who have mastered the subject.
With that said, here are a couple of suggestions that may be helpful in
getting the original poster back on track.  They may sound like the ones
she's heard before, but they were helpful for me and I think they've
provided good guidance for me over the years.

1.  Don't give up hope.  You can learn this subject, the trick is just to
figure out the best way for you to learn.  It won't be easy, but if you
remember that you are smart, creative and that it's worth being your own
best advocate, you can find solutions that work  best for you.

2.  I suggest getting a one on one tutor you can work with on an ongoing
basis.  If you're a student at a public university or junior college, the
DSS office should pay for that tutor's time.  You will probably have to
argue long and hard with them about this, but ultimately this is why they
exist -- to provide the tools and resources you need to learn.  The self
advocacy portion of this lesson should not be understated, since you'll
need to exercise that skill over and over again when you move to the work
place, where such helpful services are not generally available.  Also,
having a person to work with on an ongoing basis means you can each learn
how to communicate with each other and they'll learn how to tell you what
you need to know.  To find the right person, I suggest asking the
instructor, the teacher's assistant, or both, for the names of people they
think might be a good fit.  It might be another student who's ahead of you
in the program, or, in the case of a university, it might be a graduate
student who could use a few extra hours of work.  Once you've got the name
of the person, contact them and discuss with them what you need.  that is,
conduct an interview.  If they seem like a good fit, and they're interested
in working with you, negotiate with the DSS office, or whoever you get to
agree to pay for tutor time, to get them hired and on payroll.  If
possible, it's helpful to have them join you in class to transcribe  notes
from the white board or overhead projector, for use in your tutoring
sessions after class.  Failing that, ask your instructor if you can make an
announcement asking if any students would be willing to give you copies of
their notes for your use during said tutoring sessions.

3.  The lack of braille math texts is a challenge, but braille is
essential, in my view, to be able to master higher math.  The Nemeth code
is excellent for manipulating math, but you don't have to be an expert at
it in order for braille to be invaluable.  One of the things I did which
was most helpful was to sit down with my tutors, after class, and have them
read me the notes from the class and transcribe them into braille.  I would
also transcribe assigned problems into braille as well.  I am no Nemeth
expert and I'm sure my brailled notes violated all sorts of Nemeth rules, but
they were incredibly useful while working problems and keeping track of
notions and concepts.  My tools were 3-ring binders, braille paper and a
Perkins braille writer, with occasional visits to a calculator program.
For graphical concepts, I used the Sool  kit from APH, or, a sewing wheel
from a fabric store.  Low tech, yes, but the job was to get knowledge into
my head and to do it in a way that worked for me.  I am a visual learner,
so having something I could put my hands on and visualize was paramount to
getting the information where it needed to be, between my ears!
	that isn't to say I didn't get frustrated, or that I'm a math expert
today.  I spent hours and hours working on these classes and I didn't
graduate with distinction in mathematical subjects.  However, persevering
despite the tears, setbacks and calls to just give up by some of my
instructors has paid huge dividends in my professional life.  there's no
way around it, something worth having is hard to get.  That includes
everything from learning STEM subjects to raising children!  It is
absolutely the case that you'll get out of it what you put into it.

	I'm not arguing that this way of learning is right, fair or that it
always has to be this way, but it is what it is, and there's no reason one
shouldn't learn as much as possible despite the particular circumstances
that confront you.  You have the most skin in the game of your success, so
do all you can to make sure the outcome is as  positive as possible.  If
what you want to do requires this particular math class, then take the
class and do as well as you possibly can at it.  That may not put you at
the top of the class, but that's ok, as long as it lets you move on to the
things you want.  You don't need a NASA brain to succeed!

4.  Continue building a network of people who know how to do what you want.
That means asking on mailing lists like this one how to do something,
forging friendships with folks who have  like interests, and listening for
clues on how to further your passion.  As an example, learning how to use
the graphing calculator.  I think this is the one from APH and Orbit
Research.  Someone suggested calling APH to see if they can help you.
That's a good idea.  They may not help you directly,but they may be able to
put you in touch with someone who really knows the device.  I think the
calculator itself is a mainstream product, so there may be a mailing list
or web site where folks can help you with calculator specific questions.
APH and their support resources can help you with the voice portion of the
product, while possibly being clueless about the calculator itself.
The point is that knowledge comes from all kinds of places, and I encourage
you to be open to it from where ever it arrives.

	Finally, I understand that you probably know most of what I've written
and that I'm not talking rocket science here.  Learning STEM, or anything
for that matter, is hard.  But, it's worth it and there are folks who want
you to succeed and who are willing to do what they can to help you do it!

Sincerely,

-Brian