[NFBCS] Some Access Questions for Intro CS Class

beth.chocolategeek at gmail.com beth.chocolategeek at gmail.com
Tue Aug 4 20:06:24 UTC 2020

Hi Natalie, all,

Natalie, I am a fairly new Python programmer so please take what I say here with a grain of salt. 😊
There are many programmer experts here, so hopefully they can correct me if anything I've said here is incorrect. The below is from my own experience.

I have PyCharm on my computer, the documentation has settings for JAWS in its documentation. If memory serves, you need to change one of the variables in one of the text based configuration files to make it work with JAWS. PyCharm is a Java based program.

Second, sometimes we have no choice and have to use whatever application helps us complete our tasks in an accessible manner. However, my advice would be to look into whether the programs your professor and colleagues are using, go to their web sites if you haven't already and see if they have accessibility information in their knowledge bases or manuals. I have to take various courses at work and for professional development and it's sometimes difficult when I'm using one software application  and everyone else is using something else entirely. If you're stuck trying to teach yourself how to use a new program while everyone else is using the same tool, that might cause a problem during classroom assignments. However, if you find a program that works for you that you can accomplish tasks in a timely manner, by all means use it. Every situation is different. 😊

I've heard that Visual Studio Code is accessible for Python, though I've never used it myself. Notepad++ is usable, though you will need to make sure you have a way to check that your text is properly indented, I use a Braille display, Jaws place markers, and NVDA. The latter has some configuration settings to tell you when you haven't indented your code properly.

Please email me privately if I can help further.