[NFBCS] Terminal emulation is 3270 emulation

Jack Heim john at johnheim.com
Tue Feb 11 19:27:39 UTC 2020

The emulation and the connection protocol are 2 different things.  The
communications protocol determines how characters are sent over the
wire.  The emulation determines which characters are  sent. If you press
a key on your keyboard, it could send just about anything to the
mainframe.  You have to have a terminal emulator program that knows to
send the same keys that an old IBM 3270 terminal would have sent. Its
like if you call somebody on the phone, that doesn't mean they are going
to understand what you say. Calling someone on the phone is establishing
the connection protocol. In your case, you use telnet, not ssh. But even
after you get connected, you have to talk the same language.

I am kind of surprised putty worked at all. I think SecureCRT is worth a
try though. Ggoogling shows me that TN3270 emulation was added to
SecureCRT in 2015.

If you are really desperate, jaws has a really nice scripting
environment. You might be able to write a jaws script for Hummingbird. I
haven't written a jaws script in 20 years but at one time, Freedom
Scientific tech support was willing to help with that. For them, its
getting a programmer to work for free. At one time at least, they were
smart enough to be very helpful.