[NFBCS] Windows 7 Support Has Ended As Of January 14, 2020

Michael McQuaid mickmcquaid at gmail.com
Wed Feb 19 01:16:59 UTC 2020

It is relatively easy for the government to force a company to continue
support for products for a certain period of time, by enforcing escrow
accounts and spare parts supplies. I am pretty sure that this is an
important cost center for many industries in many countries.

I don't think it is fair to compare Windows to iOS or Android because it is
not possible to buy iOS or Android. People are forced to buy Windows in the
sense that Microsoft charges the OEMs on a per-CPU basis. This is to the
detriment of Linux, by the way, since every machine on which you run Linux
(with a very small number of exceptions) has had a payment extracted by
Microsoft for Windows.

You are technically correct that iOS 12 doesn't get updates once iOS 13 is
released but Apple does make iOS 13 available as a free upgrade for many
discontinued products and will continue to do so for years. One reason I
have switched to iOS from Android is that I perceive the support situation
for the device to be better (on a longer time horizon).

- Mick