[NFBCS] Windows 7 vs Windows 10

Nicole Torcolini ntorcolini at wavecable.com
Wed Feb 19 16:08:58 UTC 2020

            It might be the amount of stuff running on the laptop. How much
RAM does it have? I would recommend the following:

1. Uninstall any redundant software installed by Dell--or at least set it
back to using the Microsoft software, which normally works better with
screen readers anyway.

2. Turn off any unnecessary services using msconfig. Note that you should
only do this if you know what the services do--get help if you are not sure

3. Use the task manager to turn off start up processes if they are not
needed. Again, get help if you are not sure.

4. Turn off start up processes and services in the registry. I have an UI
app that allows you to do this more easily, but really, really, really get
someone to help you with this because you can make it where the computer
will not run if you disable something critical.

            Also, if you have an antivirus, etc., installed, see if it is
constantly scanning everything. I know that some people consider this a
security risk, but, unless I am doing something that I consider high risk, I
find just scheduled or manual scans is enough-constant scanning on access,
etc. really bogs down the system.

            Finally, if you have any backup programs, including Windows
Backup, Dropbox, and Google Drive, consider if you really need them running
all the time.

            If you want, I can send you a list of some of the services that
are safe to disable later, such as the media sharing.