[NFBCS] Accessibility for programmers

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Tue Feb 25 15:10:06 UTC 2020

When I was complaining about 3270 accessibility a couple weeks ago, some
people seemed to say that it was because 3270 emulation is old and not
used so much anymore.  I see that.  I know I'm a bit of a dinosaur.
But this morning, I thought I saw an opportunity to start moving out of
the old legacy system and into another system supported by my group.  I
asked my boss about the possibilities, and he said that that would be
fine, except that system has a lot of Citrix-hosted applications, and we
know making Jaws and Citrix play together is a real pain.
Citrix is common as dirt.  I think my whole IT department uses it a lot,
but not me.  I know how to get Jaws to work with it, but it takes quite a
bit of coordination, and, if that coordination is with outside vendors,
it's even more complicated.

I think Jack is right.  We of NFBCS should be working on accessibility for
programmers.  I don't know what that would entail, but I think we need to
do it, or we'll have more and more problems.  The things we need access to
are a lot more complicated than Granny getting her email.
Now, please, tell me I'm all wet, and there are simple solutions to my
problems.
Tracy