[NFBCS] Jaws and shell scripts

Brian Buhrow buhrow at nfbcal.org
Tue Jun 9 17:33:02 UTC 2020

	hello Tracy. Bash Shell, also known as Shell programming, is very
accessible since it is all command line and text file driven.  If your boss
is using vi to do the editing, he's most likely working directly in the
Linux command line environment, which is also very accessible.  I'm writing
this using the vi editor in a native Unix engvironment with speech.
	Having said that, there are a lot of ways to gain access to
Unix/Linux in this day and age and they all have their pros and cons.
While Jaws works with Putty just fine and Putty is a fine terminal emulator
and a good way to access Linux machines, the last time I checked, Jaws
couldn't give you a full screen terminal experience with Putty.  That is to
say, it was very hard to use programs that draw a full screen on the
terminal with Jaws and Putty because Jaws doesn't let you query row and
column information from the terminal.  It's been a complaint of mine since
the days of JFW 2.0, which is getting to be a long time ago.  This is also
true of NVDA, as far as I'm aware.  A better solution, from an
accessibility perspective, would be to have your boss authorize you to get
a second computer for your desktop on which you could run native Linux and
something like Speakup or Yasr as your screen reader.  This will give you
full access to the terminal screen and would let you ssh to your production
servers and work quite efficiently.  You would continue to use your Windows
machine for your spreadsheet work and most of your web browsing, though you
could run Orca and Firefox on your Linux desktop for some web browsing if
you chose.  I don't remember, but I think you're a braille display user.
There is a program called brltty, which will drive your braille display
from Linux, so you could have full braille access from that machine as
well.
	There is a bit of a learning curve to go this route, but I think it's
well worth it and I think you'll find you can do a lot of things that are
extremely relevant to today's work environments with this setup.
	There are a lot of blind folks doing this today, so help is available
on getting going.

Hope this helps.
-Brian