[NFBCS] Jaws and shell scripts

Glen Gordon GGordon at Vispero.com
Tue Jun 9 15:30:30 UTC 2020

Hi, Chris,

I was the one who worked on PuTTY with JAWS a year or so back and was of the impression that if you use a blinking vertical bar caret that JAWS tracks it accurately.  If this is not the case, it would be great to have specific repro cases to investigate.

--Glen

Glen Gordon
Vispero(tm) | Software Fellow
17757 US Highway 19 N, Suite 560, Clearwater, FL 33764
T 727-803-8000 F 727-803-8001
ggordon at vispero.com
www.vispero.com

-----Original Message-----
From: NFBCS <nfbcs-bounces at nfbnet.org> On Behalf Of Chris Nestrud via NFBCS
Sent: Tuesday, June 9, 2020 10:13 AM
To: NFB in Computer Science Mailing List <nfbcs at nfbnet.org>
Cc: Chris Nestrud <ccn at chrisnestrud.com>
Subject: Re: [NFBCS] Jaws and shell scripts

I find that PuTTY has issues with cursor tracking when using JAWS when using either of the three available cursor styles. Recent JAWS versions include scripts for PuTTY but they do not seem to address cursor tracking. I've emailed Vispero to see if they have suggestions. If you're interested, you might do the same to raise awareness.

If you need to continue using JAWS, your best bet for a GUI ssh client is Secure CRT. I use this for work and it performs very well.

If you must use PuTTY and can use NVDA, PuTTY seems to work well at least as far as cursor tracking.

There is also a command-line ssh client which can be installed through Windows 10 by going to start menu then searching for 'Turn Windows features on or off'. This should work with JAWS or NVDA.

Chris