[NFBCS] Question regarding stuck key issue on Focus 40

Nathaniel Schmidt schmidty2244 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 30 02:10:55 UTC 2020

Hi,

Your problem sounds very similar to one I discovered when I got my completely new 5th gen Focus 40 Blue display several months ago.  One entire cell would not react to input and output queries and I had to immediately send it away for repairs.  No one could figure out how or why it was happening, because the cells are connected in groups of eight on the 40 cell model, so theoretically issues like this should impact upon more than one cell.

The diagnostics <https://support.freedomscientific.com/Content/Documents/Manuals/Focus/Focus-Blue-Online-Users-Guide.htm#diagnosticsmode>  section of the 5th Gen manual contains instructions on how to clean the display , if you think this may solve your problem:

Display Test/Clean

It is necessary to disconnect the Focus Blue from your computer and make sure it is powered off before beginning this test. The display test is used to ensure that each pin on the braille display can be activated. The display test also allows you to clean the braille display. Press the Power button while pressing the rightmost Cursor Router buttons (above the last two cells) simultaneously. This action causes all cells to be activated for cleaning. Use a soft cloth moistened with isopropyl alcohol. Do not use any other substance to clean the cells.

While in this mode, pressing down on either the Right or Left NAV Rocker will cause all of the cells to be deactivated. Pressing up on either the Left or Right NAV Rocker will reactivate all cells.

Pressing the Left or Right NAV Mode button causes the cells to toggle up and down. To stop this action, press the NAV Mode button again.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Nathaniel

Nathaniel Schmidt

Undergraduate student

Bachelor of Computer Science (S306)

School of Information Technology

Faculty of Science, Engineering and Built Environment

Deakin University, Melbourne (Burwood) campus

https://sync.deakin.edu.au/profiles/student/njschmidt/

Std. ID: 220493627

E: njschmidt at deakin.edu.au <mailto:njschmidt at deakin.edu.au>

M: 0439591709