[NFBCS] Unrealistic expectations of team leaders and supervisors on the job

Gary Wunder gwunder at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 30 17:41:01 UTC 2020

As usual, what Steve has written is a masterpiece. It isn't a comfortable
piece, and it doesn't have a lot of firm rights and wrongs. What is
reasonable accommodation? If a thing as a functional part of your job, the
ADA doesn't protect you. Anything I couldn't do made more work for the
manager, so I had to figure out a way to put as little on his or her plate
as I could. I also had to figure out what I was going to do in lieu of the
things that I couldn't.

I think working is stressful, but I think that as blind people we make a
mistake when we believe that work is only stressful for us. The things that
cause us stress are usually unique, but everyone has a hill to climb.
Working a forty hour week was never something I heard any of my colleagues
brag about doing. As salaried employees, sometimes we work sixty hour weeks.
Those weeks may have given us a little bit of flexibility to go to the
dentist, but forty hours was just an expected minimum.

When I was looking at becoming a computer programmer, I went to see a man in
Virginia who used a braille computer terminal. The device cost $15,000, and
that was in 1970 dollars. It was a big investment, and the programmer told
me that in no uncertain terms I should be prepared to work beyond 8 to 5.
Figuring out my own alternatives, dealing with a computer terminal that
could print 120 characters a second versus a computer screen that displayed
at 960 characters a second had to be made up for in some way. I didn't have
to pledge myself to be a workaholic, but I couldn't be a clock watcher and
expect to succeed.

I think these are things that we should talk through openly so that people
aren't surprised when they approach the work world.

Warmly,

Gary