[NFBCS] Unrealistic expectations of team leaders and supervisors on the job

Mike Gorse mike at straddlethebox.org
Mon Nov 30 18:29:32 UTC 2020

I haven't ever managed anyone so far, but, where I work, various people
tend to have areas where they specialize, so, when a bug is found/filed, a
manager might assign it to the employee who they feel would be best able
to handle it. I don't think that it is always possible for managers to
know how long it will take to fix a particular bug or issue. So it seems
like it would be possible for a manager to assign more work than an
employee can handle without realizing that s/he is doing so. They are only
humans trying to do a job, just as the people they manage are humans
trying to do a job, so it might just be a matter of making a manager aware
that one needs support.