[NFBCS] VersaPoint Duo Braille printers

Greg Kearney gkearney at gmail.com
Thu Aug 19 21:45:06 UTC 2021

I seem to be the person to contact for connecting such devices to MacOS and using BrailleBaster. I agree with Curtis that a USB to Parallel cable is the way to go. Another approach is a parallel to Ethernet connector which I have had very good luck with.

ON a Mac getting all of this to run involves some setting in the CUPS printer interface but it doesn't require any special drivers. I assume the same would hold true for Linux and other similar OSs as well.

I(n effect what you do is to creat a line printer, since that is all that any Braille Embosser is, and then push jobs out to it with the regular MacOS printing system. For the sighted on this list here are a couple of pictures. (descriptions follow below)

The MacOS printer dialog showing an embossers.

BrailleBlaster's Emboss dialog with a connection to a Juilet Braille Embosser

As I said I have gotten all sorts of embossing devices running quite well on a Mac including some really, really old ones from Blazie Engineering. In each case I use either a network setting or a USB to Parallel cable to do it.

Greg Kearney