[NFBCS] VersaPoint Duo Braille printers

Brian Buhrow buhrow at nfbcal.org
Thu Aug 19 22:04:20 UTC 2021

	hello.  If you can produce brf files, you can make it emboss.  that is to say, you don't
need Duxbury.  I, for example, use an ancient copy of nfbtrans to produce braille copy, which
works fine, but doesn't produce UEB.

	But, even more simply, a simple ASCII file with a line or two in it will tell you if you
can get the thing working.   It will emboss ASCII into grade I braille.
Suggested steps:

1.  Attach USB->serial cable to computer and printer.

2.  Turn the printer on and make it produce a configuration page, or talk you through the
configuration.

3.   Look at the communications settings for the printer, including whether it expects data on
its serial port, its parallel port or something else.  If it is expecting data on its serial
port, check to see what the port settings are set to.  I'd expect, 9600,n,8,1, i.e. 9600 baud,
no parity, 8 bits data and 1 stop bit.

4.  Find a program that will copy a file to the serial port on your computer and feed your
ASCII file into that.  If you're testing with linux, use stty to set the serial parameters of
the port you're using, then use cat to send your test file to the printer.  ( To make the
serial port settings stick between opens, use stty -a < /dev/serialport, which should cause
stty to set the port on its standard input and, I think, tell the OS to hold those settings
even after it closes the file.  You may need to read the serial port driver man page on linux
to get this exactly right.

5.  If you can walk through the printer's configuration settings and you have some braille
paper, get it to produce a full copy of its settings on paper, so you can check things like
whether it's set to print double sided, single sided, what its line and page lengths are, etc.

When you get the computer talking to it, I suggest ASCII files that test the dot patterns so
make sure all dots are working.

For example, a line of = signs, to test the 6 dot pattern.
A line of "c"'s to te dots 1 and 4, a line of "3"s, to test dots 2 and 5, etc.

Hope that helps.
-Brian