[NFBCS] Making Outlook my Default Program in Mecrosoft Edge

Ed Barnes edbarnes7 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 7 15:36:36 UTC 2021

Hi Jim and Lesley.

>From what I can tell this issue has very little to do with your default web
browser or your default email program.

I'd sure like to fix the problem.

See my comments below.

Message not delivered
Your message couldn't be delivered to anna.byrne at gcsu.view.usg.edu because
the remote server is misconfigured. See technical details below for more
information.

The response from the remote server was:
554 5.7.1 <anna.byrne at gcsu.view.usg.edu>: Relay access denied

My comments

The error message you're getting makes this cenario a pretty easy issue to
solve if you have a simple understanding of how smtp/simple mail transfer
protocol works and in this case it sounds like you may not, but hey, I'll
try to explain this to you...

We have two email addresses. One is through Gmail, but it's able to retain
the school name with the edu extension.
For the purposes of my example we'll call this one
lesleyfarrell at student.gcsu.edu

The other email address is normally accessed through the web portal in one
of our classes. This address has been forwarded to the bobcats.gcsu.edu
address, which is set up through Outlook.

If these two email addresses are setup in 1 imap or pop profile in outlook
you will only be able to send email successfully from 1 address, if the pop
and imap servers for bobcats.gcsu.edu are entered in outlook you can send
email which shows lesleyfarrell at bobcats.gcsu.edu in the from address so you
can only successfully reply to mail messages which were sent to the
bobcats.gcsu.edu address.

If you then receive a piece of email in your ms outlook inbox which was
addressed to lelseyfarrell at student.gcsu.edu and you reply to it, it will try
to send mail from the student.gcsu.edu domain through the bobcats.gcsu.edu
servers, this is what is known is relaying and it is a security risks so any
self-respecting sys admins disallow it.

Lesley, the easiest fix, setup your outlook with 2 user profiles one called
bobcats and one called for example student
Turn off forwarding on the email address that is currently forwarded.
Configure outlook to prompt for a profile to be used rather than always
opening using the bobcats.gcsu.edu profile.
Let the mail from the bobcats domain go into the ms outlook profile called
bobcats and the mail from student go into the student profile.

Or, if you are insistant on doing this with one profile in outlook and using
the bobcat profile with forwarding enabled for student which isn't the
simplest option, every time you reply to an email that is sent to the
student.gcsu.edu email address you will need to enable and use the ms
outlook from field to make sure that your mail is sent out using the from
field and that from shows username at student.gcsu.edu domain or those
emails will not send.

I hope this helps, please reach out to me directly if I can be of any
further assistance!