[NFBCS] Accessibility of AWS with JAWS

Brian Buhrow buhrow at nfbcal.org
Thu May 27 17:38:24 UTC 2021

	hello.  I'm not Tom, but I think I can answer your question, or, at least, I can shed more
light on it.  AWS is a huge suite of services, all with various levels of accessibility, or
non-accessibility, depending on your perspective. To make matters worse, there is a lot of
overlap between these various services, meaning it is insufficient to ask if AWS database
services are accessible, for example.  As an example, you can buy an Amazon virtual machine,
either using Amazon's EC2 platform, or their Lightsail platform.  In general, the EC2 platform
is more accessible than the Lightsail platform, though both have their issues.  So, in order
for us to answer your questions, we'd need to know exactly which AWS services your company
wants to use when they deploy their cloud strategy.  Also,there is a difference between using
the service, i.e, accessing a database hosted by Amazon, versus administering services hosted
by Amazon, i.e. creating a database hosted by Amazon, or looking at your utilization stats in
the Amazon dashboard to see how much they're charging you.  In general, accessing a hosted
database would work the same as accessing any database remotely, i.e. you would use the usual
clients and tools you use to get at the database.  So, if all you're doing is managing data in
the database, rather than managing the database provider, I think you'll be fine.

Hope that helps.
-Brian