[NFBCS] For those in the cyber security field

Paul York paul at yorkfamily.com
Thu Nov 11 15:15:35 UTC 2021

Most Cyber researchers use Linux. BUT, the reality is that ALL cyber
researchers install operating systems in isolated virtual machines using
Virtual Box or VMWare or similar. They maintain numerous different Windows
and Linux virtual machines and "spin them up" when and as needed.

Frankly, the lowest friction option is whatever you are most comfortable
with. The one that has the tools you use on a daily basis and provides the
best accessibility.

I use Windows. I run Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) for running
command-line Linux apps "natively." Windows 11 now supports running
graphical Linux apps in WSL, which takes away one more hurdle. Can even run
Android apps. I'm fortunate to have a "home lab" full of other machines and
I work from home a lot, so I don't need virtual machines. But if I did, I'd
use Virtual Box.

A Mac is a decent option, but really a better option ONLY if you need to
work on Mac-specific threats. Or of course if you just prefer MacOS to
other options. I have a pretty new (pre-M1) MacBook Pro, as well. Really
sweet machine. But, I rarely use it simply because I prefer Windows.

The new M1-based machines are, well, new. They aren't based on Intel CPUs.
I'm not sure how good and mature the Intel virtualization is, but no matter
what the options will be more limited, here. Depending on what kind of
cyber work you do, this might be a major concern.

If you do run virtual machines, you'll want a good amount of RAM. AT LEAST
32GB these days. Probably 64GB. Not hard to get in a generic WIndows
machine. May get prohibitively expensive in the Mac world. For example, the
cheapest M1 MacBook Pro that you can get with 64GB of RAM is a $3500,
14-inch model. And you can never upgrade it.

Note, I'm not yet at the point that I need a screen reader, so I can't
speak to how reader-friendly these options are.

Hope this helps.