[NFBCS] Linux Screen Readers

Brian Buhrow buhrow at nfbcal.org
Mon Aug 22 15:15:44 UTC 2022

	hello Doug.  You're really close to what I am looking for, but maybe I don't entirely
understand.  For vim, it sounds like the status line at the bottom will give you  the current
line number and column number of the file you're in; that's good for writing code and being
able to check your indentation and to see if things line up properly when you're formatting
tabular output.  And, for things like mutt and lynx the cat, the -show_cursor flag is very
helpful.  The thing that you say that's a bit concerning to me is that you say, perhaps I
scripted it years ago with Jaws, making me think you're using  an extension you wrote for Jaws
that has become part of your everyday kit; something that stil doesn't ship with Jaws for
everyone else.  In another part of your message you say that Jaws can give you a pretty good
idea of where things are on the screen and you say that older versions of jaws could only give
you pixel position , but now it can give you character positions.  That's an improvement, but
how precise is it?  Could you use it to check the output of a command that shows tabular data
and know what lines up with what?

	Another feature I use everyday, which isn't part of my screen reader, but is vital to my
work is the ability to cut and paste bits of text with high levels of accuracy.  In my
experience, it is very difficult to select and copy text from the Windows cmd window using Jaws
or NVDA.  I can usually get blocks of text, which I have to paste into Notepad for editing
before I paste the text into its final destination.  that's a cumbersome extra step I don't
have to perform in my native Unix environment.  Since I assume this is a vital part of any
person's everyday work, I'm wondering how you accomplish this task using the native cmd window,
Jaws and ssh?

	I'm happy to hear that, with newer versions of Jaws, it sounds like the state of terminal
access is improving.

-Brian