[NFBCS] Question About Studying Data Science

vincentfmartin2020 at gmail.com vincentfmartin2020 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 27 22:11:12 UTC 2022

That is called "glanceability" and blind and low-vision people of varying
levels of vision, comprehension, and overall spatial awareness and
understanding of information achieve it in a myriad of ways.  Some are
extremely good at ascertaining this from tactile output, such as tactile
maps or with Braille data sets and some are good at using sonification and
in some cases, just a description of what a graph looks like.  In many
cases, the person is actually utilizing something that is unique to how they
actually process information.
I lost my vision as a result of Retinitis Pigmentosa and wasn't diagnosed
until I self-diagnosed at the age of twenty-three.  Even having mostly
usable vision for most of my life, I gravitated toward audio as a child and
can readily use sonified representations of all types of data very well.  I
am a combination of screen reader, Braille, and sonification all the time.
Some I use in conjunction with the other modalities and sometimes I have to
literally "touch" the data, such as using my Braille display when I look at
spreadsheets.  I was a graduate student in Bruce Walker's sonification lab
at Georgia Tech for seven years and researched sonification of all types of
information.  Of all the things done there and researched in the area of
sonification all over the globe, glanceability always come up.
For example, Braille is a phenomenal medium, but takes up so much space.
You also can't explore a large dataset in a very short amount of time.  I
can readily garner this from sonified data and especially from very large
data sets.  When I try to get a much narrower look at a section of this
data, many times I just look at comma separated values and many times using
a Braille display.
By the way, there is a master's program in Dana Analytics that is on-line at
Georgia Tech where the entire cost is around ten thousand dollars.

Ps- we all build a map of the world a little differently and don't be
surprised that you do it a little differently.  I have a phenomenal amount
of what we call visual memory, which means I remember what things actually
look like.  I use this, in conjunction with other modalities of input to
form spatial maps.  I'm still the US record holder in the discus throw in
the totally blind category.  It used to actually freak out my coach when I
would do a complete spin and reversal after releasing the discus.  I could
always then point to where it went.