[NFBCS] a small addendum to my last email message to the list.

beth.chocolategeek at gmail.com beth.chocolategeek at gmail.com
Sun Dec 11 15:43:51 UTC 2022

Hi Maurice,

I may be able to answer your question about installing Orca into your Ubuntu Linux virtual environment.

However, please understand I do not have a Mac and have never used one, but I have installed Orca independently into Ubuntu on a Windows computer using VMWare Workstation.

You didn't mention which virtual manager you were using for your virtual environment, e.g. VMWare Workstation, VMWare Fusion, Parallels, Oracle Virtualbox, etc.

Here is what I suggest to start. Most virtual managers have a way to bring focus to the guest virtual environment, for example for VMWare Workstation, the key is control-g. Once you press control-g, you're in your virtual environment where you do not have a screen reader installed. If you know you have the Gnome desktop configured as your desktop for Ubuntu, press alt-f2 which will bring up the run box. I know the MAC doesn't have the alt-key, so it may be a different key. Now type Orca and press enter. If you don't hear sound, it may be that audio is not enabled on the Guest Ubuntu instance. You'll need to go into your virtual manager, VMWare, or whatever you are using, and ensure sound is enabled for the Ubuntu guest machine. I would also  try orca-setup from the run box if Orca doesn't work.

This has worked for me on my Windows virtual environment. There are many system administrators and programmers on this list who are more knowledgeable than I am in this area, but hopefully this will help.

Best Regards,

Beth