[NFBCS] Windows 11 General Performance With Screen-Readers

Nathaniel Schmidt schmidty2244 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 6 04:54:00 UTC 2022

Hi all,

A few days ago, I upgraded to Windows 11 as the compatibility and system
reqs tool that Microsoft created said that my laptop met the hardware
requirements for it. But I am encountering a bit of a generic problem,
namely that general software interactions seem a little sluggish. I have
been primarily using JAWS and sometimes NVDA. I find that the Windows task
switcher is very slow in responding when invoking it with Alt+Tab. I have
also been finding that MS Office desktop apps such as Outlook have been
quite slow in terms of general GUI interaction, even simply within the main
window panes.

Hardware, firmware and software specs are as follows:

*	OS: Windows 11 Home ed. v10.0.22000, build 220002
*	Device: HP ProBook 450 G7, 64-bit
*	Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-10210U CPU @ 1.60GHz, 2112 Mhz, 4
Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
*	BIOS Version/Date: HP S71 Ver. 01.11.00, 05/11/2021
*	BaseBoard Product: 86A0, KBC Version 02.37.00
*	Platform role: mobile
*	Installed Physical Memory (RAM): 16.0 GB
*	Total Physical Memory: 15.8 GB
*	Available Physical Memory: 8.19 GB
*	Total Virtual Memory: 18.2 GB
*	Available Virtual Memory: 9.87 GB
*	ssd size: 464.57 GB (498,830,438,400 bytes)
*	Free Space: 48.38 GB (51,952,394,240 bytes)
*	SCSI disk Partitions: apparently there are 3, not sure why that is,
unless that's standard. But the two I know nothing about have very small
memory allocations, the main partition appears to be the second one. I have
one Debian virtual machine installed and in use via VMWare Workstation /
Player but I don't think that should affect physical partitions?
*	Using JAWS Home Use edition version 2022.2112.24
*	Using NVDA v2021.3.1

I never had any major problems running Win10 on my current Probook. Is there
a potential chip or two missing that I may need? I could be over-worrying
but I don't want to end up destroying my system just before I have to start
studying again.

It is certainly true that I have not done a general disk cleanup for a
while. Maybe I should think about that.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

Regards,

Nathaniel