[NFBCS] Verizon compatible cell phone with real buttons

Paul York paul at yorkfamily.com
Wed Jan 5 03:57:59 UTC 2022

Confusing that Verizon discusses and links directly to the BlindShell from
their own web site:

Mobile Technology for Those with Low Vision and Blindness | Verizon Mobile
<https://www.verizon.com/info/technology/assistive-technology-for-visually-impaired/>

Did Verizon tell you that they don't support it? From all I can see,
the BlindShell Classic 2 SHOULD work just fine. It has all of the 4G LTE
bands required for Verizon and it supports VoLTE (voice over LTE), which
they also require.

Verizon used to require that phones also support an antiquated technology
called CDMA, but that is no longer the case. They are turning that
technology off completely this year. Maybe that's where the idea that it
doesn't work on Verizon comes from?

For what it's worth, while 5G sounds great, for the most part you'll be
hard pressed to even notice you have it unless you are using your phone as
a hotspot for a PC and thus maybe getting some speed benefits. And it uses
a lot more battery power. I'd personally not be worried about finding a
5G-compatible phone. Plus, I'm pretty confident there won't be a 5G phone
with physical buttons for many years.